The Southend Churches Winter Night Shelters (SCWNS) are open from November/December to March (for 16 or 17 weeks). 2019/20 will be the 9th season, and they will be open from 2nd December 2019 to 29th March 2020 (17 weeks).
The SCWNS comprise the 7 host churches (providing a hot meal, a bed and breakfast), and operate in partnership with Love Southend (oversight, charity number and treasurer), SBC (some funding), and HARP (referrals and “back-end” support to our guests).
Driven by our Christian faith and through loving care, the SCWNS aim to meet the spiritual as well as physical needs of our guests, but we do not proselytise. However, we will answer questions!
Our aim is to help support our vulnerable guests and give them a sense of belonging and self-worth.
The current Co-ordinator has been in post since the SCWNS started in 2011/12 and now wishes to gradually hand over the role to a successor.
We, therefore, wish to recruit someone who would:
– In Year 1 (i.e. 2019/20 season): shadow the current Co-ordinator;
– In Year 2 (i.e. 2020/21 season): become the Co-ordinator (with the current Co-ordinator available as their mentor); and
– In Year 3 and beyond (i.e. 2021/22 season onwards): be the Co-ordinator.
The Co-ordinator and Deputy are part-time roles that claim a monthly allowance (currently covered by a grant from Southend Borough Council [SBC]). Most of the work is done over the winter (Sept. to April).
The SCWNS is a Christian organisation and it is therefore a requirement that the Deputy Co-Ordinator be an active Christian; a reference from their current church minister/leader will be required.
We ask for this because there will be a need to:
– lead or contribute to prayer for the work of SCWNS;
– pray with the Co-Ordinator, the Shelter Managers, and guests (if requested);
– provide pastoral and spiritual support to the Shelter Managers, and guests (if requested);
– make decisions from a place of faith, listening to what God is saying; and
– explain the Biblical and theological basis for the engagement of the churches in homelessness issues.
Deadline for Applications to arrive by close of business on Friday 30 August 2019.
For more information about the job please download the Job Description and Application Form below.